Thursday, June 14, 2012

The elephant in the room

We've all been in a situation where there has been an obvious truth that is being ignored or goes unaddressed.  Something that is too awkward or sensitive to speak about.  And sometimes I think it is actually better not to bring it up.



On one hand, it is always good to speak about something that is bothering you, as bottling it up is not a good thing to do.  You may think that you are fine, but after a while it will keep eating up at you and you will eventually break down in tears or explode with anger.

On the other hand, however, sometimes you just need to keep things to yourself, as speaking about it could create an awkward or hostile environment, which is never pleasant.  It all depends on the situation at hand, and of course, the type of person you are.  I am someone that does not like to burden others with my issues or problems, but I am a very good listener when it comes to listening to other people's problems and being their shoulder to cry on or pillar of support.

At this moment in time I have almost daily encounters with 'the elephant in the room,' but I choose to not confront it or address it as I simply do not want to.  I have addressed it in the past, and I know from experience that talking about it now will not do any good and will also not change the current situation either.  So I ask myself, 'what really is the point then?'

I know that one day that I will have to address this enormous elephant in the room, but I figure that I will just cross that bridge when I eventually get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment