Monday, February 20, 2012

If I were the boss...




In most cases, employee-employer relationships are hardly ever the best types of relationships that people have with one another. I say this because as a boss, you always need to make sure your subordinates are doing what they are supposed to be doing, that they are meeting their targets and deadlines, and you constantly have to manage and delegate tasks to them.



As an employee, you always feel that your boss is "out to get you" or that they expect too much from you, or even that they like throwing their authority around and making you do all the dirty work. These two conflicting thoughts is what causes the bad relationships between employees and their bosses.


If I were the boss, I would make myself a part of the team so that we would work together to achieve our goals. I would delegate tasks in a non-dictating manner that places emphasis on team work. I would ensure that I put myself on the same level as the other employees and only use my authority when staff do not pull their weight or participate in gross misconduct.


In an ideal world, we would all work together as a team all the time, without one person being more superior than the other. Unfortunately, the real world does require authority and management at one stage or another.


If I were the boss, I would create a sense of unity amoungst staff to ensure that they all get along and to be able to communicate openly about any problems they may be having. As a boss, it is important to ensure that your team is motivated and comfortable in the environment in which they work. I would place great empasis on empathy towards staff and ensuring they work in an environment that boasts diversity, equality and productivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment