Tuesday, March 27, 2012

How do you step from the top of a 100-foot pole?

The figurative meaning behind this question can be explained by the poem below as part of the Zen literature:
"You who sit on the top of a 100 foot pole; Although you have entered the Way, it is not yet genuine; Take a step from the top of the pole; And the entire world becomes your body."
What this poem is saying to us is that although we have begun our journey or taken the first steps (i.e. sitting on top of the 100-foot pole), we have not yet accomplished anything. The only way to make that happen is if we take a risk and step out of our comfort zones. Only by doing that, will an array of opportunities and possibilities open up for us. The best way for this to be done is by taking just one step at a time and tacking things as they come.
If I were (literally) stranded at the top of a 100-foot pole - although I have no idea how I would have landed there in the first place - I would think practically about a solution and use the resources that I have available to me (as any self-proclaimed resourceful person would do!).
I would take out my ever-handy and life-saving Blackberry and contact one of my friends who just happens to be a fireman. I would ask him very nicely if he could bring the fire engine, along with a handful of his rather attractive colleagues, who would be more than willing to help me down on the long ladder attached to the fire engine. Problem solved! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment