Thursday, March 15, 2012

We are afraid of the wrong things

In life, different things scare different people. Whether it be a fear of heights, a fear of dying, or even a fear of the dark, what frightens one person may not frighten another. In my case, birds and any insect that crawls or flies scares me to death. We each react differently to situations and have our own fears, so who is to say which of those are the wrong ones? The answer is that there is no 'right' or 'wrong' fear to have.
There is always at least one thing that scares a person, even if they do not want to admit it. I believe that all fears can be faced, albeit nobody is fearless. Personally, I would never want to face the fear that I have of bugs and insects (however girly and silly that may sound) as it freaks me totally out and I cannot think of anything worse that one of those things crawling on me.
Along with my many trivial fears, I also fear the 'more important' things in life such as failure, my family's well-being, my safety, and even life in general. Who knows what is in store for us? The fear of not knowing is one that plays on my mind constantly. Today is the perfect example. I got to my friend, Leigh-Ann's house this morning for our lift club to class. We went to class, handed in an in-class activity and proceeded home. We stopped along the way to take photos for our Communication Science research assignment and were in a minor car accident. How were we to know that that would happen today as our morning started just the same as every other morning does?
It is never good to worry about things that you have no control over, but one cannot help the way we feel. I like to think that we can apply Eminem's lyrics below to any situation we are afraid of. Fears are more easily faced with the support of someone else, and together we can accomplish more than we can by ourselves.
"I'm not afraid. To take a stand. Everybody, come take my hand. We'll walk this world together, through the storm, whatever weather, cold or warm, just lettin' you know that you're not alone, holla' if you feel like you've been down the same road." - Eminem

No comments:

Post a Comment