Sunday, May 20, 2012

Try a cliché...

When researching this topic, I came across the saying: "Cliché’s:  Avoid them like the plague."  Although this is a cliché in itself, in life there are many times when a cliché is what can best describe what it is that you are trying to say.

Here's a little story on how a particular cliché that I made use of was a defining moment in Leigh-Ann and my friendship:

Leigh-Ann and I formed a lift club to and from University in our first year as we lived close by to each other.  This lift club ensured that our travels to and from classes were never dull as they were always filled with lots of talking, venting and singing.

On our way to University one day we were having a very in-depth conversation.  As I am usually the listener, Leigh-Ann was telling me a story about how her then-boyfriend had done something, but as soon as she did the same thing, there were big problems.  I did not agree with this and, in my state of frustration at the situation, blurted out, "Leigh-Ann, what's good for the goose is good for the gander."  This was proceeded by raucous laughter on both of our sides as neither one of us could fathom where this statement had come from.  Knowing I am not someone who usually uses clichéd lines, I could not come to terms with the statement I had just uttered, albeit, it was the perfect statement to describe that situation.  It must have been the way I said it (filled with emotion and meaning) that made it that much more funny than it actually was.


Needless to say that, till this day, Leigh-Ann and I keep referring to this particular instance in the car, which remains one of the funniest moments we have shared together during our lift club.  Even though clichés are overused expressions, sometimes they are the only way in which you can truly express what you want to say :)

No comments:

Post a Comment