Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Ratanga Junction

On Thursday, July 16, I went to Ratanga Junction with three friends of mine.  I must admit that I love that place, despite the fact that the rides are still the same as when the place first opened.  Luckily, I did not have to pay for my ticket (R152 for the full rider ticket) as my friend's mom works for Rabie and managed to get us free tickets (it's who you know, remember?)

We were so excited because as we rose in the morning, the sun was partially shining in the sky and it seemed like a beautiful summer's day.  Murphy's Law, as we turned the corner on our way to the theme park, we were overwhelmed with thick, grey clouds in the sky.  Still optimistic that it would clear up, we made our way closer to Ratanga, beaming with excitement and feeling like kids again!

We managed a whole three rides (Congo Queen, Cobra and Monkey Falls) and as we were on our third ride, the rain started pouring down in buckets.  I doubt I have ever been that cold in my life as I was in the log on the Monkey Falls, getting wet both from
the rain pelting down and the water from the ride splashing up on either side of us.



We made our way to the sheltered centre point and got something to eat before calling it quits and deciding to leave.  Let's just say the weather was not ideal for a fun-filled day at Ratanga, and most of the rides began to close as they are not functional in wet conditions.

Overall, even though I love Ratanga Junction to bits as it always brings back fond memories (I used to go there all the time as a kid) I can't help but feel that it is ridiculously overpriced!  After forking out R152 just to enter the park, and have access to "all" the rides, you still need to pay R50 extra just to be able to ride the slingshot.  Apart from that, you need to buy food as you are there the whole day and may not bring any edibles into the park.  That's another R21.50 for a standard slice of pizza, or R35 for a chicken burger, or R29.50 for a large chips.  The food is definitely not of the highest standard either.

Even though I love Ratanga to bits and will definitely be visiting again (provided I have free entry and the weather permitting) there is no way I would splurge almost R250 minimum for it.  If it is going to be that pricy, they definitely need an upgrade of the rides and entertainment available.

No comments:

Post a Comment