Monday, November 5, 2012

Leaving on a jet plane!

So for the first time in my life on Saturday, October 27, 2012 I flew on an aeroplane!  Quite a significant moment in my life, I think, considering that I am 21 years old and had never stepped foot on an aeroplane before.

I found out the Thursday prior to my flight that I had to go to Johannesburg alone - considering that I had never been there before either - but, I mean, where have I been, like living under a rock or something?  The trip was for work as I had to manage and co-ordinate all the media that were attending the Hansa Pilsener Special Ingredient Search gala dinner.

Working for Corporate Image, one of the main clients that I work on is SA Breweries (SAB) and Hansa Pilsener, specifically.  My manager had the utmost faith in me and suggested that I travel to Johannesburg on behalf of Corporate Image to manage our side of the event.

I was extremely nervous before the time, but managed to keep my cool.  The take-off was by far the best part, and luckily I checked in early enough to get a window seat.

We had clear, sunny skies in Cape Town, but as we descended into Johannesburg, I was greeted by grey clouds, rain and even lightning.  I had to go straight to the event in Newtown from OR Thambo International Airport.  Thank goodness I had a driver because I would have been totally lost if I had to drive there myself!

After a long evening, I finally checked into my hotel room (the Rosebank Courtyard Hotel) which was absolutely beautiful!  Luxurious and spacious and very serene with a large en-suite bathroom, kitchenette, flat-screen TV and a balcony.  After getting some much needed rest, I had breakfast the next morning and even took the Gautrain for the first time back to the airport.


The flight back to Cape Town was a bit more boring than before, as the thrill of the "first time" was over.  I flew SAA both ways (thank goodness it wasn't 1Time) and the airline was wonderfully accommodating and efficient.


That weekend was definitely a lot of "first" experiences for me, which I thoroughly enjoyed!  Hopefully there are many more of them to come my way!

1 comment:

  1. What a great article! Thanks for the kind words :) We at City Lodge are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that we could be part of that new experience for you ...

    ReplyDelete