Monday, November 5, 2012

Will this day matter in five years?

The answer to this very simple question: No.

In my view, especially when things are bad or not going in your favour, it always seems like an obstacle you will never overcome.  Something that seems so significant to you at a particular moment in time, will not matter in five years time.

When something embarrassing happens, or I'm having an extremely bad day, or I even feel despondent, unmotivated or at my lowest, I think about it over and over and it plays on my mind constantly.  It seems like the biggest deal in the whole world and I sit there wondering how I will ever get over it.

But this relates to one of my favourite sayings that I constantly need to remind myself about: "this too shall pass."


 
Something that seems like the end of the world today will not matter in five years time.  Thinking of today in particular, I went about my normal tasks.  I did have to wake up extra early to hand an assignment in, and then go to work where I was very busy and thought I would not get all my work done.  Then I realised I would have to come home and do university work.  It all seemed too much for me at one stage and I found myself asking, what if I can't do it all?



Thinking about it now, this day will not matter in five years time.  There may be certain aspects of the day that may have some significance on my future, but overall, it was just another day.  So don't sweat the small stuff.  Something may seem impossible or overwhelming sometimes, but it will not matter in five years time.  It, just as with everything else in life, shall pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment